Vinyl Singles Discography
by Vernon Fitch
with contributions from Tor Martin Kristiansen
© copyright Vernon Fitch / The Pink Floyd Archives
This is a discography of 7 inch vinyl singles (45s) that have been released in the United Kingdom by Nick Mason.
Any comments, corrections or additions to this discography are appreciated.
Release and Dating Information
- Catalog Numbers: Catalog numbers are the letters and numbers assigned to a particular record, and can be found printed on the cover, label, and matrix of the records.
- Matrix Information: Matrix information is the letters and numbers etched into the vinyl near the label in the runoff groove at the end of each side of a record. Matrix information may include:
- Catalog number.
- Side number.
- Lacquer master number.
- Stamper letter. (usually found at the 3 o'clock position)
- Mother number. (usually found at the 9 o'clock position)
- Record pressing plant.
- The engineer who cut the lacquer.
Example: The matrix information, SHAR 5009 A-1 G 1, found on side one of the Syd Barrett-Octopus single indicates:
- SHAR 5009 A-1 is the lacquer master number
- G is the stamper letter
- 1 is the mother number
Stampers are made from the Mothers. Mothers are made from the lacquers. And the lacquers are cut from the master tapes.
Stamper Codes: The stamper codes used by Columbia/EMI Records is based on "Gramophone Ltd." and are as follows:
Example: A record with a "G" stamper letter indicates that the record was made from the first stamper. Later pressings may have stamper numbers in combination, such as "AL" which means 38.
***The matrix information listed in this discography is not complete. This is known matrix information only. If you have a record with matrix information that is not listed here, please send me the information!***
- Record Pressing Plants - All EMI Records in the 1960s through the 1980s were pressed at their Uxbridge Road pressing plant in outer London, known as the EMI Village. These vinyl pressing plants were closed down in the early 1990s and everything since then has been subcontracted out.
- Scan codes: Scan codes on picture sleeves made their appearance in the early 1980s, either in 1980 or 1981.
- Tax stamps: The letters KT which are often found on early pressings of British records is a tax stamp. This tax was a purchase tax that was imposed by the British government on the manufacturers of records, and was based on wholesale prices at a rate of 27 1/2% in 1967 (it was increased to 50% on March 20, 1968). The purchase tax was replaced by a value added tax (VAT) on March 31, 1973. The KT tax stamp can be found in the runoff grooves of singles from 1967 and 1968. A record with a KT stamp indicates that the tax was paid. Beginning in 1969, tax stamps were no longer put on records although the tax was still imposed.
Quick Click Guide
[The Pink Floyd Discographies Page]
[Reference Directory] [Pink Floyd Archives home page]
- Lie For A Lie / And The Address
Lie for a Lie picture sleeve
Title: Lie For A Lie / And The AddressAll rights of the producer and of the owner of the recorded work reserved.
Text around the bottom edge of the label starts at 9 o'clock and says:
Picture/Title Sleeve: Picture sleeve.
Record Company: Harvest Records
Catalog Number: HAR 5238
Matrix Information: (side 1 / side 2)
1) HAR 5238 A-1-1-1-0 D / HAR 5238 B-1-1-1-2 D (both stamped) (NICK2 is written on side 1)
2) HAR 5238 A-1-1-1-7 D / HAR 5238 B-1-1-2-1 D (both stamped) (NICK2 is written on side 1)
3) HAR 5238 A-1-1-1-X1 D / HAR 5238 B-1-1-2-1 D (both stamped) (NICK2 is written on side 1)
Release Date: September 22, 1985
Front Cover: Picture of Nick's auto mechanic. Title.
Back Cover: Picture of Nick and Rick. Song titles. Credits. Promo copies have a Manufacturer's Property Not For Sale sticker on the back cover.
Labels: Black Harvest label with silver text. Solid center with small spindle hole.
Text around the top edge of the label starts at 1 o'clock and says (upside down):
Unauthorized copying, hiring, renting, public performance and broadcasting of this record prohibited. Manufactured in the UK by EMI Records Limited.